Saturday, June 18, 2011

Why I Don't Write Much about Canadian Politics.

Someone recently asked me why I tend to write more about the politics of the Arab world and Lebanon in particular. The answer to that one is simple; I am an Arab, born and raised in Lebanon. The Arab world is my background and heritage, why would I not write about it especially when I have a vested interested in seeing the world I come from change for the better.

The same person asked why then, since I live in Canada, do I not write about that at all? 

That’s where I sigh and put on my pragmatic hat and say that I do not write about Canadian politics because, more than anything, Canadian politics tend to be......... Boring........ To put it as mildly as possible. But more pragmatically speaking I do not write about Canadian politics because I am not yet a Canadian and I honestly, with the current conservative government, do not want to rock the boat and jeopardize my chances of attaining my Canadian citizenship. For those who think that the western world is unlike the Arab world that it is not rife with hypocrisy, double standards and veiled attempts at coercive subversion than I tell you to wake up from your deluded dreams and I will leave it at that...... but just for now.

Being the person that I am, I have much to say about Canadian politics, boring as it may be, most of it is harsh, but some of it is good too, but the truth is that I have no wish to throw away my dreams because some bureaucrat decides to deny me my dues based on how offended they get when they read my criticism.

Soon, after I become a Canadian, I will start to write about it. But not before then.

No comments: