Wednesday, May 23, 2007

In Memory of my Grandmother

Irene Bagdassaroff Der Alexanian

(26 July 1926) - (23 May 2001)


it had not occurred to me last year when i had a total brake down on this day.....
it almost slipped my mind this year when i was feeling low and tiered....

until mom pointed out that it is the anniversary of my grandmothers passing away

23 May 2001....

i still remember that day... my granny had fallen ill with cancer and was staying at our place... every day in the morning i would go up to her and kiss her goodbye before i went to work.... she used to respond to me better than most... she would be less difficult around me when i asked her too.. she would eat better, make less of a fuss and make an effort to improve....

however .. on that morning i went up to her to give her my goodbye kiss... and could sense the presence of Death looming around.... i bowed my head and moved on... i could not go near her...

at work ... i was out of cellphone reach.... i stayed underground in my office until little bit in the after noon... when i finally came out my mom called... i could tell from her voice that it had happened.... i told mom that i knew... and she was surprised as to how i could have known...

i will always remember my granny for her wonderful cooking and baking... especially her beef strogonove ... her pilaf... her chocolate cakes and her banana cakes ....

i will also remember my granny for teaching me English... for bringing me and teaching me proper manners.... i attribute mot of my child hood development first to her... then to my mother...

i miss my granny.. but if there relay is an after life ... i am sure she is in a better place and i find that comforting...

my granny was an educator... she has educated and inspired countless of generations... a lot of her old students still to this day remember her fondly....

as for me... i just miss my granny... and i can feel her presence every now and then.. especially when i am feeling down trodden and worn out....

Ira... I love you my dear grandmother... wherever your soul may be right now... i hope you are free and in bliss...

No comments: